CIPP/US Certification Training or Certified Information Privacy Professional Training (CIPP/US) Course with Hands-on Exercises (Online, Onsite and Classroom Live)
Our CIPP/US Certification Training or Certified Information Privacy Professional Training (CIPP/US) is designed for privacy and compliance officers and other professionals in privacy and data protection roles with a focus on U.S. privacy laws and regulations. You will learn about cross-sector limits on the collection and use of data and about specific regulations for the medical, financial, education, telecommunications and marketing sectors.
The CIPP/US Certification Training course also covers laws governing access to private information by law enforcement and national security agencies, issues related to workplace privacy and important state privacy laws. With the October 2018 retiring of the CIPP/G certification, the CIPP/US the only IAPP privacy certification focused exclusively on U.S. privacy laws, regulations and frameworks.
Duration: 2 days
- Official IAPP CIPP participant guide
- Official IAPP CIPP textbook
- Official IAPP CIPP practice test
- IAPP CIPP/US certification exam voucher
- IAPP Membership for one year
- Two days of intense training delivered by CIPP/US certified instructors with actual professional experience in data privacy and the security field
CIPP/US Certification Details
The IAPP CIPP/US was launched in 2004 as the first professional certification in information privacy and remains the preeminent certification in the field of privacy. The CIPP/US credential demonstrates a strong foundation in U.S. privacy laws and regulations and understanding of the legal requirements for the responsible transfer of sensitive personal data to/from the U.S., the EU and other jurisdictions. Learn more about the certification process, and download the IAPP Privacy Certification Candidate Handbook at IAPP
CIPP/US Certification Renewal
CIPP/US is valid for two years. To maintain your credential, you must meet two minimum requirements over the term of your certification:
- Pay an annual certification maintenance fee (included in IAPP’s membership fee).
- Fulfill 20 hours of continuing privacy education (CPE).
Learn more about the certification process, and download the IAPP Privacy Certification Candidate Handbook at IAPP
- CIPP/US Certification Training Guide by Exam REVIEW – Paperback/Amazon
- CIPP/US Certification Training Guide by Jasper Jacobs – Paperback/Amazon
- CIPP/US Certification Training Guide by Gerardus Blokdyk – Hardcover/Barnes and Noble
- Certified Information Privacy Professional Training Guide by Privacy Law Practice Exams – Hardcover/Amazon
- Certified Information Privacy Professional Training IAPP A Complete Guide by Gerardus Blokdyk – Hardcover/Amazon
- CIPP/US Training – Certified Information Privacy Professional/US Private Sector
- CIPP/C Training – Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada
- CIPP/E Training – Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe
- CIPM Training – Certified Information Privacy Manager
- CIPT Training – Certified Information Privacy Technologist
- If you are familiar with some aspects of this CIPP/US Certification Training (US Private-Sector) course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
- We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the CIPP/US Certification Training (US Private-Sector) course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
- If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the CIPP/US Certification Training (US Private-Sector) course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
CIPP/US Certification Training - Audience / Target Group:
The target audience for this CIPP/US Certification Training course:
- Chief privacy officers (CPOs) and other senior information management professionals employed by a U.S.-based corporate organization or any organization with business or policy interests in the U.S.
- Privacy managers, legal compliance officers and risk managers
- Members of a privacy or compliance team
- Intermediate-level privacy professionals and entry-level candidates who are transitioning from non-privacy roles or who are entirely new to the privacy profession
- Information management professionals in the U.S. financial services, healthcare or telecommunications industries who seek to broaden their expertise into a general information privacy scope
- Information security professionals (CISO, CISSP)
- Information auditing and IT governance professionals (CISA, CISM)
CIPP/US Certification Training - Prerequisites:
The knowledge and skills that a learner must have before attending this CIPP/US Certification Training course are:
- Cybersecurity Specialization: Governance, Risk, and Compliance
CIPP/US Certification Training - Objectives:
After attending our CIPP/US Certification Training or Certified Information Privacy Professional Training (CIPP/US), you will be able to successfully pass the IAPP CIPP/US exam and will gain deep knowledge of the following key areas:
- The U.S. legal system: definitions, sources of law and the U.S. sectoral model for
- U.S. federal laws for protection of personal data: FCRA and FACTA, HIPAA, GLBA
- U.S. federal regulation of marketing practices: TSR, DNC, CAN-SPAM, TCPA and
- U.S. state data breach notification: California SB-1386 and select state laws
- Regulation of privacy in the U.S. workplace: FCRA, EPP, ADA and ECPA plus best practices for privacy and background screening, employee testing, workplace monitoring, employee investigation and termination of employment
CIPP/US Certification Training (US Private-Sector) – Course Syllabus
Day 1: U.S. laws, models and collecting data
- Course introduction
- Structure of U.S. law and enforcement models
- Common privacy principles
- U.S. law sources, definitions and authorities
- Legal liability in the U.S.
- U.S. approach to protecting privacy and security of information
Regulating collection and use of data in the private sector
- Federal trade commission privacy and security enforcement actions
- HIPAA and other healthcare privacy regulations
- Privacy in financial sector
- FERPA (education)
- Privacy protection laws for telecommunications and marketing
Day 2: Access, privacy and state laws
- Access to private information by government and courts
- Law enforcement access to financial data and communications
- Laws related to national security
- Privacy issues in civil litigation
- General workplace privacy concerns
- Human resources management
- Relevant U.S. agencies and laws
- Employee background screening
- Employee monitoring and investigations
- Employee termination
State privacy laws
- Federal vs. state authority
- Marketing laws
- Financial data and data security laws
- Overview of data breach notification laws
Certified Information Privacy Professional Training (CIPP/US)
Whether you are looking for general information or have a specific question, we want to help!